Thursday 19 March 2009

Julie Doiron 'I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day'

Why do I buy albums? Thats what I'm wondering at the moment.

Obviously I have favourite artists and I will always buy new releases from them come what may. But March has been a pretty lean month so far, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy excepting, and there haven't even been many albums by bands who I don't know but sound like the sort of bands I might like. I think it is times like this that cause me to buy albums like this one and the Shaky Hands album. Records that sound OK but I wouldn't necessary buy at times when there are a lot of new releases around. Perhaps I need to be more frugal or something.

This is not meant to be a savage criticism of Julie Doiron's new album because it is entirely the sort of record that doesn't warrant savage criticism. It's fine! A nice enough listen whilst walking around town at lunchtime on a sunny day like today.

Doiron is a Canadian singer-songwriter whose work has escaped me so far, apart from a split-EP with Okkervil River. This record is a collection of short songs mainly concerned with matters of the heart. There are quiet acoustic songs with pretty lyrics which remind me of a less twee Kimya Dawson. There are also louder songs with a reverb-heavy electric guitar and generally angrier lyrics. The pick of the songs and the one to listen to if you wanted to try before you buy (ha!)....if it is on Spotify that is.....is 'Consolation Prize', a post-split hymn to bitterness that is rather entertaining and very sing-along. Meanwhile, 'Nice To Come Home' has a pleasant lullaby-ish vibe.

The whole album has a warm, fuzzy feel which may well wear off after repeated listens. It is, however, nice enough and has interesting lyrics. Do I sound bored? Maybe I am a bit bored at the moment. I would like to hear a new record that leaves me reeling, dumb-struck, ecstatic, moved etc etc. Any suggestions?

6.0

['I Could Wonder What You Did With Your Day' is out now on cd/vinyl/download on Jagjaguwar]

No comments: