Friday 26 October 2007

Beirut 'The Flying Club Cap'

Zach Condon, aka Beirut, returns with his second full album after last year's critically acclaimed 'Gulag Orkestar'.

The Balkan stomp of Beirut's debut left me a little cold. It had some nice sounds and was good background listening but I was looking for songs and I didn't find any memorable ones. To add to the disappointment I found his voice rather annoying. I tried so hard to like it, the record got an awful lot of attention and it felt like I was missing out on something wonderful, but something just didn't click for me and that record.

With this album, Condon has moved away from the Eastern European sound and fixation and turned his attentions to France. 'The Flying Club Cap' is essentially a baroque pop album with lots of piano, brass, violins and accordion. It feels like a much more relaxed album than its predecessor with several low key piano ballads.

Some of the arrangements are stunning, particularly on the gorgeous 'A Sunday Smile' and listening to the music is a real pleasure. I first listened to this album after a particularly awful day at work and it had a remarkably soothing effect.

I am still not a fan of Condon's voice and the lyrics can be a little patchy although often very evocative, but this is a sumptuous listening experience.

8.0

No comments: