Wednesday 12 December 2007

Emmy The Great

While I still haven't got over the excitement of finally seeing The Mountain Goats play live and the joy of it being every bit as good as I hoped, I wanted to also write about how much I enjoyed the set from Emmy The Great.

Emmy is Emma-Lee Moss, born in Hong Kong, now living in London. She performed with a second singer/piano player and a violinist. Her songs are a mix of indie and folk, sounding a little like Belle & Sebastian may have sounded at times had Isobel Campbell had a stronger singing voice. She only played five or six songs but they were all strong and the performance of the band overall was very assured. Highlights were a superb cover of John Prine's 'Christmas in Prison' which has been stuck in my head ever since Saturday and current single 'Gabriel.

You can hear more on Emmy's Myspace site:
http://www.myspace.com/emmythegreat

No comments: