Monday 3 December 2007

The Innocence Mission 'We Walked In Song'

Clearly, my profession of choice would be a record reviewer. However, even if I had the talent to perform this duty, I am starting to wonder if I would find it possible to work to the guidelines required. I have read a review of The Innocence Mission's new album in Uncut, it can't be much more than 100 words, it is a 'safe' three star review and sticks to Wikipedia type facts about the band and offers the insight that as the record is largely about Karen Peris' Father who died while the record was being written, it is sombre. If someone asked me to give them 100 words on the new Innocence Mission LP, I think I would find it impossible.

I first became a fan of The Innocence Mission in 2001 after a recommendation from a friend. They are husband and wife Don and Karen Peris with assistance from bassist Mike Bitts. Karen sings and plays guitars and piano, while Don plays most of the guitars, drums and occasionally sings backing vocals. Their music is a kind of dreamy, light, folky sound, with mainly acoustic guitars and Karen's beautiful, childlike vocal over the top. The songs often focus on themes such as childhood, religion and friendship.

2003's 'Befriended' was written shortly after the death of Karen's Mother and it is partly a tribute to her life and partly an album about coping with her death. It remains one of my favourite albums of all time and will inevitably, at some point, make you cry.

This year the follow up album finally arrived. Released in January 2007 in the USA and out in the UK next January, 'We Walked In Song' is, in many ways, a companion album to 'Befriended'. I have lived with this album for most of this year and there haven't been many weeks when I haven't listened to it at least once.

Karen's Father died during the writing of this album and if you listen to the album just once and read the lyric sheet through, you might get the impression that this is a sad, sombre album. You'd be wrong. Instead of dwelling on sadness and loss, the lyrics look for hope, joy and happiness in the things that remain. So there are songs about members of Karen's family as well as several songs about the kindness of strangers and the way that moments like these can light up the day.

Opener 'The Brotherhood of Man' sets the scene with lyrics such as:

"Waiting at the airport on my suitcase,
a girl traveling from Spain became my sudden friend,
though I did not learn her name.
And when the subway dimmed
a stranger lit my way.
This is the brotherhood of man."

Elsewhere on the same song, the sadness shines through...

"We meet an older man who seems to know
I miss my dad.
And he smiles through the limbs.
We talk easily with him
until the rain begins."
    

Karen sings this song beautifully, complemented by intricate guitar pickings from Don. 'Happy Birthday' and 'Love That Boy' are tributes to members of Karen's family but it is after these two tracks that the album really hits it's stride.

'Into Brooklyn...' is the most upbeat, catchy song on the album and the first to contain anything so loud as a drum! Its a song, you'll be humming for days after you first hear it. 'Lake Shore Drive' has more of an alt.folk sound than anything else here, it is a joyous song too, as Karen decides to leave regret and grief behind whilst never letting memories fade

"It seems the right time
to let go of the steep incline
of this day and to know you’re mine
forever and I will be fine.
In me will you shine,
shine, shine, will you shine"

Later on, 'Since I Still Tell You My Everyday' is an impossibly sad and lonely song, performed with a very sparse acoustic arrangement and 'Over The Moon' and 'A Wave is Rolling' focus on optimism for the future with some very nice imagery.

As has become something of a tradition on Innocence Mission records the final track features harmonies between Karen and Don. They sound great singing together, as Don's voice compliments Karen's very well. 'My Sisters Return from Ireland' is a great closer with Karen's lyrics hoping that she too can show kindness to others in the same way as it has been offered to her.

There is not a huge variation in sound or themes on this record so don't expect that. But, if you want to hear gentle, emotional songs performed by great musicians and singers than you won't go far wrong with 'We Walked In Song' and you'll probably find yourself gradually purchasing all of The Innocence Mission's superb back catalogue. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye.

9.8









No comments: