Monday 7 January 2008

new year [same] old music

Happy New Year to any regular or (more likely) accidental readers of this blog.

I am writing this in my local library as I am off sick from work due to having the cold, chest thing that EVERYONE in the country has had (its official, we've all had it. if you haven't had it, go and see your GP....now!) and we have still not managed to get ourselves organised enough to go and buy a laptop. When we do, you'll be sick of hearing from me.

I am aware that I have not yet posted my top 25 LPs of 2007 list. The list is done, I will post it in full soon. Innocence Mission's 'We Walked In Song' was the narrow winner, with 'Boys and Girls in America' by The Hold Steady in second and 'In Rainbows' by some band called Radiohead third.

This year I have so far been mostly listening to Art Brut's 'Its A Bit Complicated' album, which I bought on a whim with a festive giftcard. It hasn't disappointed, as it is a heady mix of literate indie-rock, sounding something like a cross between Pulp and The Hold Steady if that is in any way possible. We are going to see Art Brut in London in a few weeks' time so that should be ace. In other gig-going news, I am seeing Low on a boat in Bristol in April.

I have managed to get a promo copy of the new American Music Club album 'The Golden Age'. I am extremely excited about this and I gave it a listen today. On first listen, it is very good. Much more mellow than 2004's 'Love Songs For Patriots', more like a cross between 'California' and an Eitzel solo album. It will inevitably take a few listens to get used to all the songs, but I think it is safe to say that if you are an AMC fan worried by the line-up change....don't fret, you won't be disappointed. Full review soon.

Lastly, my tip for 2008....Emmy The Great. Household name by the end of the year. Hope so anyway.

No comments: