Friday 8 February 2008

this and that

Up early on Saturday morning, listening to England lose in the cricket.

I have much to ponder. Had some bad news this week and I now have to make a big decision re: work. I have to make it by Friday. Thing is, I am seeing American Music Club on Wednesday night and that is likely to become the focus of my week to the extent that I will most likely end up making a fast decision on Thursday morning based on what Mark Eitzel's mood was the previous evening and whether or not he played 'Take Courage'.

I have seen Eitzel/AMC live three times and two of those shows would feature in my top 10 gigs of all time list. I saw Mark play live solo at Dingwalls in 2002 and it was just incredible. There were mood swings, guitar changes etc et, it frequently looked as if he could walk off at any moment but when he played and sang......well, no-one else could come close. I remember he played 'Take Courage' that night and I think he did 'Blue and Grey Shirt' and it was just spellbinding and real.

I saw AMC for the first time in 2004. I had the flu and really shouldn't have been there, but it was a great gig. Obviously very different to Mark solo, more professional and more like a 'normal' gig but I'm not saying that means I prefer it. They played 'Gary's Song' which I loved for obvious reasons and I remember realising that night what an amazing song 'Patriot's Heart' is.

So, this Wednesday I am excited to see him again and desperate to hear him play 'Sleeping Beauty' which is my song of the year so far.

On an unrelated note we saw 'Juno' yesterday. What a lovely film. If you need cheering up, go and see it, it will restore your faith in humanity. It also has a marvellous, lo-fi soundtrack and I am now going to have to check out the work of Kimya Dawson, whom spookily, my friend Amber recommended to me the day before we went to see the film.

Anyway, I suppose I should switch off the radio and start the day.

No comments: