Thursday 19 June 2008

Sigur Ros 'Gobbledigook'

I'd somehow managed to avoid getting completely obsessed with Sigur Ros.

Sure, I had heard and liked the music on the BBC adverts and I bought 'Takk' but something didn't really click and I found it all a bit too polished. However, 'Gobbledigook' is something else altogether. TracksandGigs are a bit behind the game with this, as this was released as a free mp3 on the band's website a couple of weeks ago, the album is out on Monday. 'Gobbledigook' is stunningly beautiful. All acoustic guitars, tribal drums and singing that I cannot understand but sounds splendid. This is a marvellous tune to play on the train each morning as its otherworldly (is that an actual word?) beauty strikes a juxtoposition (can you strike a juxtoposition?) with the dull, clinical commuter world around me. I look at striped-suit-man listening to Coldplay and reading the Times and I turn up 'Gobbledigook' and it makes me feel better, takes me somewhere else.

'Gobbledigook' is out now as a free mp3. The album 'Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust' (English translation: With a buzz in our ears we play endlessly) is out on Monday.

No comments: