Saturday 16 August 2008

more on Conor Oberst album

apologies for the lack of updates but there's not much new out there and I have been listening to old Innocence Mission albums (albums that I never, ever tire of) and the Conor Oberst album.

Regarding the latter, I may have under-rated it even with the 8.4 mark I gave it (incidentally, after letting albums 'sink in' after reviewing them, I think I also under-rated the Fleet Foxes LP and over-rated the Mountain Goats LP this year...everything else I pretty much stand by). It is a superb record and the song 'Moab', not a track I noticed much in the first few plays, is a favourite at the moment. A song about moving on and then coming home...about finding peace...it is all kinds of wonderful and Conor sings the lines "see those headlines coming towards us/ that's someone going back/ to a town they'd said they'd never/ yeah they swore it on their lives", like he totally believes in what he is singing and the music he is making. Good to hear. If you haven't already bought this album, do so now.

There is more stuff coming up soon though. Including a review of the new Mark Kozelek live EP and live reports from Sun Kil Moon in London and Tindersticks in Brighton.

and if you think there's something else I should be listening to, let me know...

No comments: