Wednesday 6 August 2008

Record Shops Part 2 - Rough Trade East

Inexplicably, TracksandGigs had yet to visit the all new Rough Trade shop in Brick Lane which has now been open a year. I was a regular visitor to Rough Trade Covent Garden before it sadly closed but despite loving the whole concept of Rough Trade East, I had never managed to get down there. It was mainly the 'East' that was the problem. Brick Lane is 13 tube stops from where I work so I can't pop there at lunchtime and it is a million miles from where I live (not quite, but a long way) so getting there really required an effort to me made. And until today sadly, for me, I had not made that effort.

But a half day's annual leave was taken and a visit was made. I spent a good 45 minutes in there and could happily have been there all day. It was so nice to visit a proper record shop again. There are so few around these days (see previous post) and of those most are struggling but Rough Trade East is great. It has everything you could want....well stocked racks that unlike the old days at Neals Yard, you could actually get to without having to form a queue, listening posts with interesting choices of albums, a coffee bar no less, a seating area to sit while pondering purchases, a wireless computer area and the same old helpful, friendly Rough Trade staff.

It would be the future of record shops if actually buying records hadn't become such an old fashioned thing in some people's eyes. TracksandGigs has decided to take a half day every month to make that journey to Brick Lane. I recommend you do too, its good for the soul.

[reviews of my purchases coming soon]

No comments: