Friday 10 October 2008

five years ago...

Laura Barton's mention of The Innocence Mission in the Guardian today reminded me that it is five years since the release of their 'Befriended' LP.

The first few times I played this album, I wondered if it was one of the best records I had ever heard. Five years on, I think it is. I never get tired of it. It is one of those albums that I ended up buying copies of for friends in the hope that they would love it as much as I did. Some did, some didn't.

Written and recorded after the death of Karen Peris' Mother, 'Befriended' was made pretty much exclusively with guitar, bass, piano and tambourine and of course Karen's amazing voice. The lyrics are of course poignant, sometimes sentimental but the music is joyful and on 'Beautiful Change' you can hear Peris smiling as she sings. I have often thought that this record is pretty much perfect. It can make you feel sad but in some ways is the most uplifting album, the writing is simple yet stunning- the first verse of 'When Mac Was Swimming' is...

"When Mac Was Swimming I was running late
Walking around New Orleans looking for a birthday cake
It was a great surprise to him so many people came
Nobody knows darling
Nobody knows how they are loved"

There is so much I could say about this record but if you don't own it, just buy it and find out for yourself. You won't be disappointed and this record will carry you through the Autumn turning to Winter and then when Spring is on the way, you can listen to Karen sing..

"Flower forth,
all you branches of Easter
Why won't the spring come?
Sweep down early, Tomorrow, come.
Tell me that I can just start over again.
Sweep down early, my friend."

And then you can buy the follow up 'We Walked In Song' which is almost as beautiful and then start on their back catalogue, prepare to be blown away by 'Birds Of My Neighbourhood'.

The Innocence Mission don't get the attention they deserve and this is one of the most beautiful records you will ever hear.

[Every Innocence Mission album is available now from www.theinnocencemission.com they are all brilliant. A new one will arrive in the Spring]

No comments: