Monday 10 November 2008

Fleet Foxes on 'Later...'

My favourite song at the moment is 'He Doesn't Know Why' by Fleet Foxes.

Their debut album has grown on me an extraordinary amount. I'm slightly embarrassed by my initial review of it now. I liked it, but I didn't think it was special, not as good as the Bon Iver album for example. Silly me, although I guess, this is what album of the year lists are for. The best albums generally aren't immediate and many times in the last few months I've had a song stuck in my head and wondered what it was, then realising it was a Fleet Foxes song.

If you haven't seen their performance on Friday's 'Later With Jools Holland', go to BBC Iplayer and watch it now. In particular the performance of 'He Doesn't Know Why' is incredible. I'd heard that they were a lot better live than on record and it seems to be true. Watching Robin Pecknold hit every note and singing with such control and power is wonderful, one of the musical moments this year that has made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

I've got tickets to see them at the Roundhouse in February. Counting the days already.

No comments: