Wednesday 19 November 2008

what happened to the sound that left you lying on the floor, laughing, crying, jumping and singing

Nothing to review at the moment. Well, there is one cd, but I can't be bothered to do it yet (not a glowing endorsement, I guess).

I've been listening a lot to Belle & Sebastian's 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' lately. I love the feeling of joyful lethargy (is that a phrase? or even a combination of words that can be used together in any reasonable way at all?) in it. I don't know this, and I may very well be wrong, but I imagine that Stuart Murdoch went through quite a lot before recording this album and instead of dwelling on those things, he pulled everything apart and started again and DCW is the sound of him making those steps. That is how it sounds to me anyway.

It relates at the moment because, career-wise, I feel a bit like that at the moment. Have made some bad career decisions this year and at times in the last few days I have felt a bit like 'Dear Catastrophe Administrator'. I kind of think it might be time for me to strip everything away and start again, although I am a bit old to do so perhaps (34). How I wish I could have made the right decisions when I was 18 and then perhaps now I could be writing about music for a living. Instead of which I'm doing something else for a living and writing about music for a hobby. Badly.

So thats one possible reason why I've been listening to DCW so much. The other likely one is just that it feels like an Autumnal album. Sometimes a record hits you at a particular moment and then that moment in time will always be indicative of the album. DCW, as it happens, really clicked with me over a sequence of 3-4 days back in 2003 when I was delivering some scintillating training sessions at the L&D (scintillating in my head. in reality they probably involved me jabbering, laptops not doing what I want them to do and students yawning). I can vividly remember walking down Leagrave High Street and thinking what a great record DCW was.

Now we're sort of going round in circles cos that has reminded me of a time when I was doing a job I enjoyed. Enough. None of this is 'for here'. Although if I leave this post un-tagged, the fact that hardly anyone (no-one) visits this site on a daily basis, like as a rule by going to the main page means that I can say pretty much whatever I like, cos nobody will read it. Hmmm.

Anyway, if anyone wants me to write about music for them or write bios for bands or do anything at all, you can contact me. Not that I'm desperate for a career change or anything.

Christ, lets hope there's something to review soon eh? If only Amazon would dispatch my Denison Witmer import cd (6-9 days, my arse) we'd be alright and I could just witter on inanely about that instead.

Bye for now 'readers'.

1 comment:

Vivien said...

You're not too old. Become a librarian!