Wednesday 28 January 2009

new Bill Callahan LP

Bill Callahan aka Smog releases a brand new album, the wonderfully titled 'Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle' on Drag City at the end of March.

T&G has heard a few tracks, thanks to Mark Riley who has been giving the promo a spin on 6 Music.

I was a bit disappointed with 2007's 'Woke On A Whaleheart' which I found patchy and in places a bit corny. Initial impressions are that 'SIWWWAE' is a return to the form of 2005's 'A River Ain't Too Much To Love' which was a masterclass in laid back alt.country beauty.

Best track I've heard so far is 'My Friend', which starts off with gentle guitar picking and builds into something of an epic with Bill managing to growl and whisper at the same time whilst singing the chorus. Very fine indeed. Put me down as very exited about the album and eager for some UK dates this Spring.

No comments: