Sunday 24 May 2009

Bob Dylan 'Together Through Life'

..probably the only UK Number 1 album that I will review this year, or most likely even listen to.

I had a major Bob Dylan phase a few years ago. I think this happens to everyone at some point in their lives. For a while I only wanted to listen to Dylan and going through his career's work discovering all the gems and the duds was a real joy. I even had a fondness for some of his later work, its easy to love the 60s stuff but tucked away in his late 70s/ early 80s output were a couple of diamonds, including the utterly gorgeous 'Every Grain Of Sand'.

This phase lasted until I saw Dylan play live. This was monumentally disappointing for me, even though I knew pretty much what to expect. From what I could make out, his band jammed for an hour and a half, occasionally I realised which song Dylan was singing. There are apparently special nights when Dylan might play guitar, play a song like 'Every Grain of Sand' or 'Gotta Serve Somebody' or just generally seem more interested than usual. The show I saw wasn't one of them. I saw Kris Kristofferson play live a few years back, I'm not a fan of his but it was a captivating night where he told stories, charmed the audience and played stripped down renditions of his songs. Hard to know why Dylan can't/won't do something like that.

Since 'Time Out Of Mind', Dylan's records seemed to have declined in quality with each release, but even 2006's 'Modern Times' had the regal 'Nettie Moore' and the triumphant 'Workingman's Blues', so I had some hope for this record.

Unfortunately it is one of Dylan's poorest efforts. A lazy, tired sounding record that few would give the time of day if it was not a Bob Dylan album. His band play a mid-tempo blues throughout the album and Dylan sings with a voice that is now little more than a rasp and a gurgle over the top. Its fine, Dylan is clearly enjoying singing old-style blues numbers each night but there is nothing of a superior quality here and nothing that would make you feel anything in particular.

Contrary to what has been written in some music magazines, it isn't a lot of fun either and it certainly isn't "a blast". Uncut wrote the following about the song 'If You Ever Go To Houston'...."the band kick up dust like people who turn up at a party and before you know it are blowing doors off the hinges, juggling cats and running around with their hair on fire". Funny that, because all I hear is a mid-tempo, ultra repetitive blues with some vaguely humourous lyrics sung by a guy having some fun.

Thats all. No more, no less. Nothing to get excited about here.

5.6

['Together Through Life' is out now on Columbia. As if you didn't know.]

No comments: