Thursday 28 May 2009

Grizzly Bear 'Veckatimest'

Once bitten, twice shy. Around a year ago, I listened to the Fleet Foxes LP a few times, wasn't all that impressed and blogged about how it was a pleasant enough folky My Morning Jacket style effort but that it was majorly over-hyped. It didn't take me long to realise how wrong I was and I did admit my error several times on these pages, but I felt very silly nonetheless.

In terms of hype and potential mainstream-crossover-potential, 'Veckatimest' from Brooklyn four-piece Grizzly Bear, could be this year's 'Fleet Foxes', or so they say. Firstly, I should say it doesn't really sound much like Fleet Foxes, and certainly nothing at all like Bon Iver, which was a claim I saw presented in a local 'record shop' the other day. There is a vague similarity with the former, in that both bands mix a folky sound with Beach Boys style pop harmonies but I'd be surprised if this crosses over as much as 'Fleet Foxes' did, simply because there are no big catchy ballads in the style of 'He Doesn't Know Why' or 'Your Protector'. Its a more 'difficult' record in many ways.

"Our haven on the Southern point is calling us" is the first line of the anthemic drum-heavy opener, followed by the piano-led, catchy as hell 'Two Weeks'. These two tracks are as upbeat and immediate as things get. From here, the record shifts into an intricate soundscape that is at times beautiful to listen to, but at other times hard to engage with.

Melodies drift in and out, along with harmonies and loops. 'Dory', for example, has an ambient feel reminiscent of Animal Collective but is underpinned by a harsh electric guitar riff. 'Cheerleader' starts off with a bouncy bassline but twists into a rich and soulful groove with harmonies and a choir.

Every style under the sun is here somewhere and this is undoubtably a meticulously envisaged and executed piece of work. It is never less than a pleasure to listen to, but I wonder how many times in the future I am going to feel a desire to listen to a record that is such hard work, reveals so little of itself and is at times just as distant and isolated as the tiny island where it was recorded.

The pop flourishes at the start of the album will make you try hard to warm to it, but this is a challenging record that will require a lot of your time. For some that may be a good thing, but it left me feeling just a little disappointed.

6.7

No comments: