Monday 1 June 2009

Magnolia Electric Co return with 'Josephine'

The Summer of 2003 was maybe the hottest I remember and as I'm someone who dislikes hot weather, I don't have too many good memories of it. One thing I do recall with fondness is the nights I spent listening to Songs:Ohia's 'Magnolia Electric Co' LP, probably the finest alt.country record there is.

I remember being so happy when I finally received the vinyl version and could follow the instructions of 'Old Black Hen' and "play that black record".

Jason Molina has struggled to better it since, but as it is one of the few records that I genuinely regard as perfection, that isn't surprising. Anyway, Molina returns in July with 'Josephine', recorded with Steve Albini. The title track is available to listen to here : http://www.magnoliaelectricco.com/media and whilst I am loath to get too excited by preview mp3s, I will say this... Promising, very promising.

'Josephine' is out on July 20th on Secretly Canadian, Magnolia Electric Co play the following UK/Ireland dates in September:

9/02 - London, UK - Bush Hall
9/03 - Brighton, UK - Duke of Yorkshire Picture House
9/04 - Leeds, UK - Brudenell Social Club
9/05 - Stradbally, Ireland - Electric Picnic 2009
9/06 - Porthcrawl, UK - Seascape Festival at The Grand Pavillion
9/07 - London, UK - Institute Of Contemporary Arts

No comments: