Monday 14 September 2009

God Help The Girl 'Stills' EP

Two albums have been dominating my listening time in the past few weeks and they are both records that I under-rated at the time of their release. I have considered re-reviewing both but it may suffice and ease my conscience to just go on about them endlessly and wait for the 'end of the year' lists to right my wrongs.

One is The Duke and The King's sublime 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' and the other is Stuart Murdoch's 'God Help The Girl' side-project. When I first heard this record, I thought it a little showy and forced. In my defence I did keep listening and what I heard eventually was exceptional songwriting from Murdoch and Catherine Ireton's wonderful, crystal clear voice. The songs are sad, happy, funny and wise, the story is compelling and the ending tugs at the heartstrings. It is a monumental achievement and a beautiful, winning piece of art. Thats what I should have said first time round. At least I have learnt my lesson and am now 'living with' albums a lot longer before writing about them.

Anyway, GHTG have now issued 'Stills', an EP of songs from the same sessions as the album but which didn't make the cut. This appears to have nothing to do with quality, but instead Murdoch's intention to sequence the album so that the story unfolds with each song. It works on the album but means that this EP is also essential listening.

From the brassy 'I'm in Love with the City' to the torch-song 'Stills' and the funny/tragic 'The Psychiatrist Is In' these are five more perfectly executed pop songs and fans of Ireton's warm vocals will find plenty to love here.

I have only two more wishes from God Help The Girl...a London performance of the album in its entirety and a box set with the album, the EP and the b sides.

Get to work then Stuart...

['Stills' is out now via Rough Trade on 10" vinyl and download]

No comments: