Wednesday 23 December 2009

Films of 2009

Yep, a blog about music and my first '..of the year' involves films. Well, in a not so great year for music some of my favourite pieces of art this year were films and in many ways my favourite films have meant more to me than my favourite albums. I haven't seen all of the films I wanted to, due to the complete and utter crapness of my local Cineworld, who only seem interested in blockbusters and there will be a list of stuff that I have been forced to miss at the end. But my favourite are:

1. Fantastic Mr Fox

I may be a total Wes Anderson groupie, but this was just brilliant. Such attention to detail, such great lines, such memorable music, some great cameos, it all just came together better than you could ever have hoped. More Anderson than Dahl, this just left me wanting to see it again and again. You notice new things each time. Clear winner.

2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Most people hated this, but I loved it. Yes it was too long and there was lots of un-necesary background stuff and it was overly sentimental but it did make me cry and it made me think and I thought it was an extremely memorable film.

3. Looking For Eric

Very funny but also exceptionally warm hearted and a simple story about friendship with a great twist. Lots of laugh out loud stuff and great to find out that a lot of it was ad-libbed. Extremely British- what on Earth would Americans make of it?

4. In The Loop

Probably even funnier than Looking For Eric although obviously not as warm hearted! Peter Capaldi is brilliant as Malcolm Tucker, supremely watchable and quotable. The ending will make you very angry too, so a very clever film.

5. The Damned United

Another film with a great central performance but also excellent support from Timothy Spall. You don't need to be a football fan to enjoy it, all about ambition, greed and friendship. Martin Sheen does a great job as Brian Clough.

6. Up

Never mind all the fuss about the 3D, this was just a great story with great characters and a brilliantly clever sequence early on that can't possibly fail to make you cry.

7. Milk

Powerful, shocking stuff. Great casting as Sean Penn was not an obvious choice for the role. The film tells you what is going to happen in the first few second and then unravels the stories before your eyes. Very well made and a great istory lesson too.

8. Adventureland

Nothing amazing here, just a nice coming of age story with a good soundtrack which I found rather enjoyable.

9. The Wrestler

Great performance from Mickey Rourke who carries a straight-forward, cliched story, although at least avoiding the Hollywood happy ending. Powerful stuff in places. All about Rourke though.

10. 500 Days of Summer

In two minds about this. Very consciously 'indie', but with a realistic storyline with no short cuts and happy ending.


Disappointments:


The Invention of Lying - terrible film. Ricky Gervais is clearly starting to believe the voice of his own ego. Stupid idea that doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny, bad acting. Boring. And the only thing worse than a boring film, is a boring film that is terribly pleased with itself.

Synedoche New York- really really wanted to like it. Nothing likeable in the film at all. Unpleasant, depressing and boring.

Bruno - simply not funny. in any way.


Films I was not able to see yet / aka Thanks Very Much Cineworld:

Moon
An Education
A Serious Man
Sunshine Cleaning (although to be fair, this does not look good)
The Class

No comments: