Thursday 22 November 2007

American Music Club- new LP

Both of my long term favourite bands release new albums in February, and both have returned with 'modified line-ups'. I speak of course of Tindersticks and American Music Club.

AMC are back with only Mark Eitzel and Vudi present from the original line up. My view on this is, that as long as Mark and Vudi are there it is still AMC and it is perfectly OK.

I became a fan of American Music Club in the late 90s when they were on, so it seemed then, a permanent hiatus. During the years before they got back together I saw Mark Eitzel play a solo show at Dingwalls and this remains one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen. I have never felt so supportive and protective of an artist as I was in those two hours. Just getting through the gig without walking away seemed to be a personal battle for Mark and for every sulk or change of guitar, you knew there was an amazing song coming up if he could keep going. I'll never forget the version of 'Last Harbour' he played that night.

I got to see AMC play live twice after they reformed in 2004. The first was an exceptional gig and a real joy to see Mark looking so happy and comfortable on stage, the second was a bad gig mainly due to sound problems. Mark had a face like thunder throughtout. This is how it is with Eitzel and AMC, you never know what kind of show you're going to see but its always worth going along because the good nights make up for ten of the bad.

So, now they're back. New album 'The Golden Age' is out in February with a UK tour at the same time. Their US record company have put a track from the album on their website (see link below). Its called 'All The Lonely Souls Welcome You to San Francisco', a title that only Eitzel could come up with. Its a lovely song, more 'California' than 'Love Songs For Patriots', with a chorus that you'll be humming all day. Enjoy.

http://www.mergerecords.com/news.php?month=Nov%202007#327

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Track's called "All The LOST souls welcome you to San Francisco"

Gary said...

yep, silly mistake on my part.