Saturday 17 October 2009

Mark Eitzel 'Klamath'

'Klamath' is the new solo record from Mark Eitzel. You're only going to be able to buy this either directly from Mark ( www.markeitzel.info ), through his European distributer Decor Records or from Mark at a show. On his website he states that he needs to sell 500 of these, he is by all accounts pretty broke. This is a tragedy.

Mark Eitzel is an amazing songwriter, he has written some of the most beautiful, affecting and, sometimes, funny songs that we have. His album 'Songs of Love live' is an absolute bona-fide all time CLASSIC. A partial recording of a solo gig from 1988, just Eitzel and his guitar, it is a document of Eitzel playing his songs, absolutely from the heart, occasionally sobbing, laughing, apologising, it is sad, touching, heart in mouth stuff...just like seeing Eitzel play live. Everything he has ever recorded has been honest and from the heart and unfortunately that has not resulted in huge sales.

In a right and proper world, he would be recognised as one of the World's top songwriters, 'Songs of Love live' would have been reissued in some kind of deluxe version with the full gig and a bonus dvd or something and this new album, 'Klamath', would be eagerly awaited by millions. But life's not like that and, in a way, Eitzel wouldn't be Eitzel if things were this way. Instead he has his small but loyal fanbase who buy everything, try to convert people and attend gigs knowing it could be terrible or it could be just about the best show they've ever seen.

Even on his poorest ever album, 2005's 'Candy Ass', there was 'Sleeping Beauty' a song that makes me gasp everytime I hear it and was later re-recorded with American Music Club. Its a tattered, broken song with such strong imagery that I have my own little film that plays in my mind each time I hear it. Its maybe the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

'Klamath', like the last couple of Eitzel solo releases, is recorded largely by the man himself with the aid of Pro Tools. Occasionally the use of Pro Tools is frustrating, a track like 'Like A River That Reaches the Sea' sounds like it would be just fine with Eitzel singing and playing acoustic guitar, instead it is spoilt a little by the electronic shenanigans going on in the background.

There is more than enough here to warrant buying this album though. 'The Blood On My Hands' with its alarming opening line 'Now girls, if you want to maintain a look like mine, then you've gotta spend hours on your face, and your nails and your hair', is fully formed and sung with a snarl. 'I Miss You' is soft and regretful ("I miss you/ your heart was warm".

The best tracks though come in the second half of the record when Eitzel more often than not ditches the electronics and just plays guitar and sings. 'I Live In This Place' is spectacular, minimal and broken. Apparently written about a prostitute looking back at their life, it can also be taken as autobiographical and is classic Eitzel....as is the title of 'Why I'm Bullshit', the song too wit its "all I know is I betrayed you" refrain.

Still time for two more standouts. 'Remember' could have been on any of the early AMC albums, acoustic, gentle and fragile. Closer 'Ronald Koal Was A Rock Star' sounds out of place...but in a good way. Loud, funny and containing electric guitar, its an uplifting end to the record.

Eitzel carries on. As he sings here "I know I'll be doing this for the rest of my life". Maybe he will, or maybe he'll get tired of it, sometimes it sounds like writing these songs, recording them and playing them to audiences is a big struggle for him and he'd be happier doing something else. Whatever, I'm glad I own this record, I'm glad I've seen him play live several times, I hope he sells more than 500 of these.

You should buy this record. This is a songwriter wearing his heart on his sleeve.

['Klamath' is out now via www.markeitzel.info or http://www.decorrecords.com ]

No comments: