Sunday 11 October 2009

The Sleeping Years 'Into Sunlight'

So much great music around at the moment. I have to say none of it better than the incredible new Twilight Sad album, which I am still writing a review of, but I was delighted to receive the forthcoming single from The Sleeping Years...

Dale Grundle's new band produced one of the albums of 2008, the new single 'Into Sunlight' is a taster from their forthcoming second album and by the sounds of it, it could be an even better record. 'Into Sunlight' itself is a wonderfully upbeat, joyful pop song with the trademark acoustic guitar, cello and yearning vocals but with a fuller sound and a coda featuring some added trumpet.

B Side 'Katherine Cove' is more stripped down and moody, led by vocal, piano and cello. "I'm so far from God here/ I'm so far from home" sings Grundle.

These two songs both sound as good, if not better than most of 'We're Becoming Islands One By One', the cello in particular sounds really great and mixes so well with Grundle's voice.

The single is out on November 2nd, on vinyl and download. It will actually feature a couple more tracks than I've heard so far, so I'll blog about them when I get the vinyl. In the meantime, The Sleeping Years play an acoustic show at London's Boogaloo, this Wednesday.

No comments: