Tuesday 6 October 2009

The Mountain Goats 'The Life of the World in Flux'

For those Mountain Goats fans who do not yet own the stunning new album (and I should say at this point that I now have FIVE versions of this in my possession...promo, ordinary cd, itunes version for the bonus track, LP and the edition I am about to mention...), you could do worse than head to Rough Trade or even roughtrade.com and buy from them.

If you do, you'll get a nice limited edition pack which contains 'The Life Of The World In Flux' a 13 track cd of demos and sketches of the album's tracks, including a couple that didn't make it onto the LP. All intimate, hushed, low key, lovely stuff.

Incidentally I've read some reviews that hint that there is an amount of cynicism in some of the lyrics on the album. Personally I don't really find that. I don't know what Darnielle's religious beliefs are but I just take these songs as poignant songs about aspects of life and of course pretty much all aspects of life are reflected in the Bible. You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy this album and if you're a non-Christian I don't see why you'd need to want Darnielle to be looking at the God-stuff in a cynical way.

Having said that, it has made me think a lot more than pretty much any other album I've listened to for a while.

No comments: