Thursday 29 October 2009

The Sleeping Years 'Into Sunlight'

I realised yesterday that for the last week or so, I've been listening exclusively to music that is at least ten years old, or new music by bands I discovered at least ten years ago. This may account for the lack of updates on here. I should mention that my listening has mainly centred around the new Grant Lee Phillips album (and old Grant Lee Buffalo stuff), the new Hope Sandoval album (and old Mazzy Star stuff) and the new Sleeping Years EP (and old Catchers stuff). I seriously need someone to recommend me some new bands that I might like. I can't remember the last time I discovered a really good NEW band.

In any event The Sleeping Years 'Into Sunlight' is single/EP of the week and, for that matter, month. It is out now as a four track single on itunes and out Monday on 7" vinyl. The lead track is probably the most catchy, poppy song that Dale Grundle has put his name too since Catchers' 'Cotton Dress'. Really shimmery, pretty stuff with a flourish of brass at the end that makes it sound grand, its a great song and one deserving of more airplay and attention than it will most likely get.

The b sides are both quiet, slower songs. 'Katherine Cove' is particularly good, sounding dark and mysterious. Sleeping Years' last album 'We're Becoming Islands One By One' was shamefully overlooked in most of last year's 'best album' lists (not mine!), but this single offers hope that their next album is going to be even better.

No comments: